Wednesday, August 27, 2014

So many tomatoes!

Now this is a high class problem - excess tomatoes. My Dad's tomato plants are going crazy with fruit, the CSA has wonderful heirloom varieties that produced well this year, my tomatoes have been steady and have more fruit on the vine, and a friend dropped off a 5-gallon bucket of tomatoes just the other day.

Basically - I have a glut of maters. Unfortunately, I do not particularly like to can tomatoes. So I've been using them fresh in every way I can. Some recent dishes: sliced with mozzarella and basil, sliced with mayo, in salad, on pizza (lots of different pizzas), quick sautéed in pasta dishes, in chickpea salad, in fresh and canned salsa, as BLTS, and chopped on top of eggs. All wonderful.

I now have so many tomatoes that I think I may commit the sin of picking a few green ones to fry up. Maybe I'll even take advantage of the forecasted cool weather to make some southern fried chicken too.

Let's hear it for tomato season!

No comments:

Post a Comment