Monday, August 18, 2014

Sawing logs - and I don't mean snoozing

Over the last two years we've cut trees that we intended to turn into lumber. It's taken a bit of time to get the sawmill out here, but it finally showed up to get the job done. We had three stacks of logs to do and it took us three days of work. Not too bad, really.

These stacks are about six feet high
We had a mix of ash, cherry, maple, and a bit of pine. Most of the wood was earmarked for specific projects - dining table, kitchen cabinets, countertops, etc.

Setting up the saw
We had a huge ash that I wanted for my dining table so we cut the lumber at 2 1/4 inches thick - that way we could plane it down to two inch planks.
My dining table "in the raw"
The grain is beautiful and width is 14 inches at some points. We're going to leave a living edge on it so we'll get to keep a lot of that width.
Beautiful boards

Nice grain
By the time we were done, most of the logs were gone, we had a huge pile of sawdust, and lots of slab wood that we'll split for kindling. A very good haul!
Slab wood and sawdust
All the wood has been stickered and stacked to dry. It'll be two years before I actually see my table, but the cabinet and countertop wood will dry more quickly as it wasn't cut as thick. Maybe I'll see that stuff next summer!

No comments:

Post a Comment