Friday, September 14, 2012

Distribution box and leach field

Here are some pictures of the final stages of putting in the septic system. Once the tank is in and the pipes are laid, it's time to connect to the distribution box and leach trenches. 3 trenches, each one 48 feet long and 2 feet wide, are dug and lined with sand, gravel, perforated pipe, more gravel, paper, and then sand again. Whew! Why do we need three trenches you ask? Apparently because it's a three bedroom house. Cool bit of code trivia. 


See the yellow thingy (technical term!) inside the distribution box? That's a quick leveler (see, I know the names of stuff) that you use to make sure the liquid enters all three tubes at the same rate.

The far trench is ready for inspection
Once everything is done you cover up the septic tank. Be sure to do something to mark where the access ports are on the tank in case you need to do a clean out or inspection or something.


Chris also hit upon the brilliant idea of photographing and mapping the entire septic layout. So that if we ever need to do repairs (or want to dig for some reason) we'll know where the lines are. Let's face it,  we all say we'll remember where everything is, but 10 years from now, who does?


Good shot of the leach trenches

Leach trench! Deep!
 Now, I have not been quiet about all the rocks that we've pulled out of the ground. Lots of rocks and we're going to have to come up with stuff to do with them all. And defensive perimeter aside, there's not a whole lot you can do with massive rocks. They just kind of sit there after all.

But this rock, oh my. This rock spoke to me. It said "I have a purpose. I am...a buffet rock." And I listened to the rock and convinced my husband and my excavator that it had to be moved from where they cruelly abandoned it and place right next to the house. Without crushing any septic piping.

Talking rock

This is the east end of the house and will some day be my stone patio. The patio will extend around the big rock and I'll be able to use it as a serving area. So cool!

1 comment: