Saturday, December 13, 2014

Green bean casserole

Well, I finally got around to cooking the Thanksgiving green bean casserole. I normally stagger the Thanksgiving dishes but it's definitely out of the ordinary for it to take me this long to make a one. Basically we just had so many other things to nosh on. Plus I was planning to use my blanched and frozen beans from my summer CSA share so I didn't have to worry about ingredients going bad. Wow, did that share work well for us!

Anyway, I don't do the traditional green bean casserole with cream of mushroom soup and canned fried onions. A few years back I found a recipe that involved using fresh haricot vert, onion, mushrooms, a butter/flour roux with milk for the cream base, and a topping of shallots that you fry yourself. It's a bit more complex to make, but since I don't do it on the big day, I can take the extra time to make what is a stunningly tasty dish.

So it was bean casserole and mashed taters for dinner tonight. Didn't miss the turkey at all!

Veggie dinner tonight

No comments:

Post a Comment