We realized we needed to make kiln cookies before we fired the next batch of glazeware. Kiln cookies protect your shelf in case of glaze drips and we had some pieces that were 100% covered in glaze - the scoops for example. So took a break to make some and then a few more pieces so we'd have enough to do a bisque fire.
Perhaps we should have double fired the scoops instead? They're in the kiln so we'll find out soon.
|A full kiln load - it's a small kiln!|
Interior: Dark blue SM-21, poured
Exterior: Cobalt Celedon C-20 x 3
Exterior Bottom: Downpour C-25 x 2 plus some zigzags
|Love this exterior color|
Interior: Dark blue SM-21 x 3
Exterior: Smoke C-3 x 3; Charcoal C-5 x 3; plus charcoal overlap
Interior and Exterior: Rainforest x 3
Interior: Jade C-47 x 3
Exterior: Jade C-47 x 3
Handle & lip: Charcoal stripes x 3
Handle & exterior edge: Blue-green SM-29 x 3
|Splotchy - likely the brush I used|
Interior: Charcoal, poured
Rim: Charcoal x 1; Rainforest x 2 plus inside 1" x 1
Exterior: Rainforest x 3
Lid top Charcoal x 1, Rainforest x 2; Lid knob Charcoal x1, Rainforest x 2
|Broke nicely on the texture|
Rim: waxed top 1/4"
Interior: Gloss White x 2 plus drip decorations of Cash Money Blue
Exterior: Cash Money Blue x 3
Bottom lip: Cash Money Blue x 3, Glass White x 1
|Oh my. Failed with the bottle application. No run.|
Interior: Smoke, poured then lightly brushed
Exterior: Smoke x 3, Textured Burgundy x 1 with drips encouraged
Lid top Smoke x 3; Lid handle Texture Burgundy x 1; Lid bottom Cash Money Blue x 2
|This just came out bad|
|Think it needs more coats of the Texture Burgundy|
Underglaze decorations on top with Clear x 2 over them
|Oddly rough on the outside blue - not mixed enough?|
Underglaze flower and handle details with Gloss White x 2 over them
|Like the antique effect of white over underglaze|
Bottom: Cash Money Blue x 3
Top: Haven't fired yet
|Great rich color|
Obviously we had some issues with the kiln stilts. The wire we used was simply too thin to support the weight of even the small scoops. So they fell and stuck to the kiln shelves. Bummer. Chris sanded them and they'll be fine for my intended use but we're making new furniture with heavier gauge wire.
We've also got some learning to do on the application. Some of the glazes covered great and I'm convinced it's because I used the hake brushes instead of the cheap artist brushes. They hold more glaze and it glides on more smoothly. I've since ordered more of those.
Kiln cost to fire $3.04