Tuesday, November 10, 2020

Using the broadfork

We got some unexpected warm weather (70 in November? Really?) so I decided to fluff the garden soil before winter set in. 

In the first picture the right side of the garden has been forked while the left is still untouched. You can kind of see a color difference.


This close up shows clods of dirt on the right, smooth soil on left.


Basically you jam the tines into the dirt then leverage the handles back and down to cut through the soil. You’re not tilling so much as, well, fluffing.










This is a good shot showing worked and virgin soil. 


The chickens think I’m brilliant with my new scratching technique. 

It’s still a fair workout but much easier than my old garden fork method.


2 comments:

  1. Your chickens remind me of the birds that used to follow my dad whenever he was working in the fields. He grew corn, no-till method, but when you're pulling equipment through a field, you're going to stir up the dirt... and the grubs... and then the birds come, grateful for the feast.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They follow my husband when he mows the yard too. The mower stirs up the grasshoppers and gnats and they grab them right out if the air.

      Delete