Tuesday, November 20, 2018

How the "pumpkin" bread turned out

Great, that's how. I did notice that the batter was a bit more liquid than when I use commercially canned pumpkin. And that carried over in how it baked - it took longer to cook all the way through, which meant the outside came disturbingly close to burning. It didn't, but it is tougher and more carmelized than I would have liked.

For the 11(!) bags of puree that I have in freezer right now, I'll just make sure I account for that in future recipes. For the pumpkin bread specifically, I'll use broader/shallower quick-bread pans rather than my standard loaf pans. Spreading out the batter should help it cook more evenly.

For the hubbard squash still to be processed, I'll roast it longer to get even more evaporation.

So, that's that. For anyone interested in the pumpkin bread recipe, it's from my recipe card file, which means its origins are a bit murky. As best I remember, it came from a co-worker in Louisiana who got it from a sorority sister in Maryland who got from...no one can remember. So, thanks to that original someone! It's a great recipe and actually gets better when you freeze the loaves.

Pumpkin Bread (makes 2 loaves)
3 cups sugar
15 oz can pumpkin
1 cup oil
4 eggs
2/3 cup cold water
3 1/2 cups flour
2 tsp baking soda
1 1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp ground nutmeg
Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
Combine wet ingredients and stir well. Combine dry ingredients in small bowl then add all at once to wet. Stir well. Pour into two well greased loaf pans and bake for 90 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool completely.

These freeze very well and seem to get even more moist when later thawed. Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment