Monday, August 28, 2017

Regrowing bok choy

Have you seen those posts on Pinterest that list all the foods that regrow from the roots? You know the ones - they trumpet "never buy X again!". Well, I decided to give bok choy a try. I had two heads that I'd purchased from my favorite organic farmers so I thought that'd be a good place to start.

Step 1: eat the bok choy. I did this quite successfully.

Step 2: place bottom stem into a shallow dish of water.

Step 3: wait. And wait. Eventually little leaves will start to form in the center. 

It's working! I'm getting leaves!
Step 4: when they've begun to form little root tendrils, take them to the garden and plant them.
Transferring to the garden
Cooper is always helpful
 Cover the entire bulb with soil, leaving only the leaves sticking out.
Cover carefully
Step 5: wait. And wait. And wait. Eventually you'll get all excited because it looks like it's actually going to work. The leaves grow and all looks well. Here's where things went awry though. Instead of heading up like bok choy is supposed to do, mine bolted.

After 45 days of growth
Maybe it was too hot? Although given the wet and cold weather this summer I have a hard time believing that was the problem. The good news is that lots of little seed pods are forming so I'll be able to experiment with seed collection, storage, and planting. I'll let you know how that goes next summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment