Friday, January 6, 2017

The Kitchen Sink

Way back when I started dreaming about our new house I had very specific requirements for my kitchen sink. My Grandma L had this wonderful porcelain cast iron sink - two deep sink bowls and a drainage area on the side. I wanted one just like hers. More or less. Well, really less. Because while I did want a porcelain-enameled cast iron sink, I hate deep sink bowls, and double bowls, and the one bowl I did want had to fit my Grandma OB's baking sheet, and I wanted two drainage areas not one. So pretty much, exactly like hers but totally not. Right.

Armed with Grandma OB's baking sheet I went to antique festivals, flea markets, and restoration shops. Either the sinks were in horrible shape, the bowl was too small for the pan, or they were WAY too expensive; I couldn't find the one I wanted. And then, magically, Chris was on Craig's List one day and there it was. A woman was redoing her kitchen and was getting rid of the original cast iron sink. A single bowl, double drain, white porcelain sink that had been in active use in a normal household kitchen, not a barn, not sitting out in a field. For $125. We threw Grandma's pan in the truck and went to see if this was the one.

It was. 

Ta da!
It was also heavier than a dead minister. (Why are ministers considered heavy when dead? Were they not heavy alive? Is my family the one who says this? Gotta look that up sometime). We really had to work to get that puppy into the truck. And then it came home with us and sat in the garage of the old house for two years. Yes, we broke a cardinal rule and bought something before we actually needed it. Given that it took about two years to find it though, I think it was the right decision. Finally we built BeechHouse and it sat in the carport for 4 more years while we worked on the house interior (has it really been four years???). 

And now, it's finally installed and I love it.

Ta da again!
If you've never installed a sink like this, it's designed to sit on a base like the one in the first picture. Or it can be hung from the wall. Or placed on legs. Lots of options which makes the underside of the sink really weird to work with as there are slots and wings and supports sticking out all over the place. Chris had to get in underneath it and cut holes in the counter in order to have it lay flush. Nothing like cutting into your brand new counter, eh? 

It's also not quite as deep front-to-back as the standard depth counter. Since I didn't want it recessed it had to sit proud of the wall. So Chris built a back section with a cherry shelf. Now my dish soap has a place to live and isn't in the way. The faucet? Another item that I bought well in advance just because I saw it at HD one day. Not in the expensive sink & faucet section but in the basic plumbing area. $10 and it's actually brass with chrome cladding. Heavy, excellent action, great flow. And no longer available. 

So we broke our own rule, twice, and got lucky, twice. I'm not going to mention the errors in judgment that caused the rule to be put in place though. Just know we won't be breaking it again anytime soon despite this resounding success.

SaveSave

No comments:

Post a Comment