Friday, October 31, 2014

Installing the porch ceiling

So. The porch ceiling was not on the official 2014 project list. It wasn't even on the "it might be nice to do this year" list. But once we finished the board and batten, it looked so nice that we just couldn't leave the porch undone.

There is 12 x 64 feet of this to cover
We decided to use sheet goods and then cover the seams with rough cut pine. We painted the plywood in a 50% Sandtone color so they would be a bit lighter shade than the window and door facings.
It's begun!
Cutting out the holes for the lights was a bit tricky, but Chris did a great job figuring out where they were to go. I used the jigsaw to cut out the 4" circles.

The sheets went up much easier when you had an extra pair of hands to hold them up. I was supposed to be up there too, but I had to take a picture, right?
Hold it right there!
Since we knew we'd be covering the seams, we didn't have to worry about fitting the sheets tightly together.
Ugly temporarily visible seams
The rough cut pine boards are 1/2 inch thick and 8 inches wide; I painted them full Sandtone and I like the contrast with the lighter sheet goods. It only took a few days to get everything up and then I stained the porch pillars and trim black. Arranged the furniture, build a quick pallet daybed, and got to enjoy a couple of fall days on the porch before cold temperatures hit.
Look! The car actually fits now!
I'll spend time next summer finishing the daybed, installing the seat cushions on the barber chair, and figuring out how I want to decorate. For now though, I love having it cleaned off and usable.

No comments:

Post a Comment