I harvested three Hubbard Squash from the garden - two monsters and one that is only not a monster in comparison to the other two. Yesterday I decided it was time to process the first one.
|This puppy weighed 24 pounds. 24!|
Splitting it was actually pretty easy as I'd cured the squash before storing and the shell was nice and hard. So a couple good whacks with the clever broke it into sections.
|I didn't use a hatchet.|
|The three segments above became this|
|Portioning the goo|
And in case you're interested, here are the stats:
Hubbard squash, unprocessed: 24 lbs (384 oz)
Puree: 180 oz or 12 "15oz cans"
Waste: 204 oz; shells 78 oz, innards 23 oz, balance water weight lost to evaporation
I was a bit surprised at how low the yield actually was. I didn't expect to lose half the squash's weight. I'll test those results when I process the other monster squash - it's about the same size as this one was.