Friday, July 25, 2014

CSA share week 8

I realize that I didn't post anything for weeks 1 through 7, but that's because I just thought to do this. So I'll play a bit of catch up here and try to stay on task for the rest of the CSA season.

The CSA I'm a member of (Tangleroot Farm - awesome!) does distribution every Tuesday. I'm getting a full share this year and I confess it's a bit much for just the two of us. Actually, the amounts are wonderful and I've really cut down on the amount of meat in our diet. But we find ourselves seriously craving greasy burgers some nights. Getting all our veggies at once has had a positive impact on my meal planning too - I pick up the share Tuesday, sit down that night to figure out the week's menu, and then hit the grocery Wednesday to pick up any things I lack in either the pantry or the freezer. So far it's working pretty well and our grocery bill is significantly lower (one week I only bought milk and eggs).

I was going to try to list each week's share up to week 8, but frankly can't remember specifics - so here are the highlights: garlic scapes, green garlic, scallions, lots of salad greens (mix and head lettuce), white turnips, carrots, beans, kale, collards, braising greens, leeks, beets, herbs, and I'm sure I'm forgetting some stuff.

Here is what we got Week 8 (I'll take a photo next time): Head lettuce, leeks, carrots, beans, bok choy, garlic, tomatoes, green and yellow zucchini-type things, sprouts, and cucumbers. The tomatoes were a big, red heirloom variety (ugly, but oh so yummy) and wapsipinicon (yellow, very sweet).

And here is this week's menu:
Leek pesto with beans (the basil was from last week's share)
Cucumber and hummus wraps
Pizza - one with pesto, tomato, and mozzarella; another with garlic, onion, kale, collards, tomato, and mozzarella
Stir fry with sesame noodles (this used most of the veggie variety)
Leek tart
Cucumber, tomato, mozzarella, and pesto wraps
Nachos with kale, pinto beans, cheese, and other nacho-related toppings

Those are the planned meals but the rest of the evening meals will fill in with leftovers or surprise dishes based on whatever I feel like cooking that night. Photos will be posted in future!

In the meantime, my garden is barely producing anything. Okay, we've got a lot of yellow beans and green tomatoes (beans are ripe, tomatoes definitely not). My zucchini seems to have some weird disease and my cucumbers are flaunting tons of flowers but no actual cukes. Neither of the winter squash varieties have produced anything beyond flowers either. Oh well, there is still time.


No comments:

Post a Comment