Wednesday, February 27, 2019

Sewing wings

I typically make something for my grand-niece's birthday. I've done a bunny backpack, doll clothes, and hand puppets. This year I decided to buy a pattern and make some wearable wings. 
A lot of parts to these wings
It was actually more complex than anything I've sewed so far. There was quilting, interfacing, and lots of fiddling with layers.
The top of the wings
In the middle of all that complexity I took a break to make a fleece blanket. My Mom had complained of being cold when she got her chemo treatments so I'd made her a blanket. When we found out our friend was about to undergo treatment himself, I quickly made one up for him too. He's been using it at treatments and says it really helps make him comfortable.
Manly colors
Back to butterfly wings...

There was appliqué on the wings too. I definitely learned a lot doing these!
Completed top side of wings
Stitching to reinforce the shape
They're really going to flap well.
I got the pattern from Twig & Tale and their instructions were excellent. Lots of tips on their blog and there were video tutorials included with my purchase of the pattern. I'm still new at the whole sewing gig and this was my first real foray into using a pattern. I'm glad I started here!

No comments:

Post a Comment