Wednesday, March 2, 2016

This week's recipe: Toaster Pastries

This week's recipe is again from the KAF Baker's Companion cookbook - toaster pastries. Chris picked this one and it looked fun. You make up the dough the night before, chill overnight, then finish them for breakfast. 

Assembly on these takes a bit of time, so be sure to leave enough lead-time in the AM.

The dough is very sweet. In fact, it's now going to be my go-to sugar cookie dough. Very yummy.

Extremely hard dough
Took a bit of effort but I got the dough divided into four segments, rolled it out, filled it with the jam mixture, sealed them, and cooked them up. In fact, it took nearly an hour to do all that.
Homemade strawberry and some purchased grape jams for filling
 You can have one batch baking while you're mucking about with the next.
Pretty
At first I considered this recipe a C at best. It was a bit of a pain to make. Took a good bit of time, including planning ahead for the chill factor. Tasted very sweet. But then we popped a couple in the toaster for a late afternoon snack and I realized that the results would be enjoyed for days. These really did reheat well in the toaster (I didn't put the frosting on them - one, I thought they were already sweet enough, two, I could easily envision toaster fires) and we enjoyed them immensely. 

I am leaning toward simply cutting and baking them as flats then toasting and spreading fresh jam on them as we eat them. I think they'd be just as good, much faster, and I wouldn't have to worry about the jam leaking into the toaster (not that it has yet, but it's a concern). So it's now been upgraded to a B on my recipe grading scale.

No comments:

Post a Comment