Wednesday, April 24, 2019

Learning Some Embroidery

So far the class tally for the year has included pottery on the wheel, shoe making, bee keeping (Chris), weaving, and now - embroidery. The embroidery class was a quick, free (thank you Twig & Tale!) online course that just taught a few stitches but I had a good time learning them. I've done counted cross stitch and bargello but never really tried to do classic embroidery stitching. Now that I've tried it I plan to add some details to some of the sewing I do.

I used a linen pocket that I'd sewn up but never attached to my pinafore. Figured it was about time to actually use the darn thing.

The pattern is a simple vine & flower wreath that you transfer to your fabric. Basic supplies are fabric, hoop, pattern, needle, and floss of some kind. 

Pattern and the first chain stitches
I used a marking pen that disappears over time to transfer the pattern. I quickly realized that my working speed was much slower than my disappearing speed. I had to keep tracing over the pattern to keep it on the linen.
Disappearing pattern
We learned the back stitch, chain stitch, french knot, and lazy daisy for this wreath. They also taught the  satin stitch and woven wheel stitch as "bonus" stitches.

I sewed the pocket onto my pinafore and left it as a double opening. My phone tucks in the tight inner pocket and I can use the outer layer of the pocket for quick access to whatever else I want to carry.
Finally attached!
I haven't had to wash the apron since I added the pocket so I'm not positive how the embroidery stitching will hold up. I don't really feel like I secured it all that tightly on the back. If it loosens I'll just redo it and come up with a better way to knot off the threads.

2 comments:

  1. You're so very creative! Tackling all those skills. Love the simple embroidery design. It makes me want to pull out my floss and hoops. You are an inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I admit part of what I loved is that it was a fairly quick project (once I'd learned the stitch of course). Now I just have to remember how to do it.

      Delete