I don't talk much about the upstairs of the house. Mainly because once we got clothing storage (oh my, was that really three years ago?) and a place to sleep, we've pretty much left it a hot mess. Painted plywood floors, untrimmed windows, boxes piled high in the bathroom (which still only has a toilet). Sigh.
But this fall I decided that while Chris was finishing up the kitchen cabinetry I'd do some finish work of my own. I'd install hardwood flooring and while I was at it, I'd switch the bedroom from the east end of the house to the west end and create an art/music studio where the bedroom used to be.
We cleaned out the west room which contained all Chris's music equipment as well as the guest bed. Then I started on the south wall, got midway, and moved anything still in the room onto the area I'd just finished. That way we didn't have to totally empty the room and could continue to use the east room as our bedroom.
|The future bedroom but not the future bed|
|On the way to the finish|
|Baseboards going in|
|Before window trim (or organization for that matter)|
|Just a wonderful expanse of flooring (and a note that we still need closet doors)|
|North wall of studio - trimmed!|
|South wall (and a total mess)|
|East wall with bookshelf molding|
|Installing door trim|
We're incredibly pleased with how much more finished the house feels with just these changes. In fact we like the feel of it so much we put our Christmas tree in the bedroom to celebrate.
|The new bedroom|
|This was all the waste - not bad!|